- Mediterranean beaches and coastal towns (from 35 minutes) – there are 20 beaches within an hour’s drive.
- Lac de Jouarres for swimming, boating and wind surfing (10 minutes).
- River swimming in Bize-Minervois (5 minutes).
- Pyrenean mountains with skiing in winter (from 1 hour).
- Montagne Noir, the southern-most part of the Massif Central (from 30 minutes).
- Canal du Midi with canal boats available for rent (10 minutes).
- Carcassonne with its medieval walled city (40 minutes).
- Cathar castles and many other historic sites, like the hill town of Minerve.
The Spanish border is only just over an hour away and Barcelona (2½ hours) can be visited on a day trip.
The nearest big town to Mailhac is Narbonne which is about 20 minutes by car. This has a good selection of shops, markets, and restaurants.
Within a ten mile radius of Mailhac there are restaurants to suit every taste and pocket!
There is much to entertain children in the warmer months, particularly the beaches. There is also a theme park at Vias (50 minutes), and an African game reserve at Sigean (40 minutes). The Espace de Libre in Narbonne is open all year round and has indoor pools, water slides, ten pin bowling and ice skating.